More great messaging menu apps
Ken Van Dine has packaged up Matt Mossholder’s gvoice-notifier in a PPA. I’ve added the PPA to the list of messaging menu applications. If you want to help package these up and get them rocking then feel free to grab one! We’re always looking for great applications!
(If you just thought, “Oh neat, if I could SMS from the me menu like you can with the chrome extension…” then congrats on the great idea, here’s the bug!)
Collecting up Messaging Menu applications
I’ve sent this to the Ayatana mailing list, but here it is for good measure!
I ran into this yesterday:
… and I realized that more and more people are making applications for the messaging menu and they’re all over the place. We should embrace this enthusiasm for the technology with some organization so we can get this goodness out to users. I’ve started this wiki page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MessagingMenu/Applications
Reasons for this:
- We need to make it more obvious to app developers that we can help them use the Messaging Menu (and app indicators, and the application menu, etc.)
- Getting application authors talking to /each other/ can be a big collaboration win.
- Some people like to develop, not package, some people are opposite, this will help us connect those two groups and get people using this stuff.
- Jono is working on a process for application authors to quickly (heh) get applications into the Software Center. This kind of application is perfect for this sort of thing: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process
- Authors would appreciate the exposure to help get testing, new contributors, etc.
- Users would end up getting these cool new apps in a less complicated way.
So, as you run into these applications, please feel free to add them to the wiki. Perhaps an author has an application but doesn’t know how to set up a PPA, you can help point them in the right direction, etc. If you need any help with any of these apps let me know!