Unity Bitesize Report for 8 Feb
Welcome to another edition of the Unity bitesize report!
Cando’s been working on two fixes (which are under review). The first is being able to middle click on a maximized window title in the panel and have that be pushed to the background.
In case you didn’t know, you can middle click on window titlebars and they get pushed behind other windows. This can be a very handy window management technique, but now that we’ve welded the title bar with the top panel when a window is maximized this was missing. So thanks to Cando for preserving this bit of “UNIX Law that this feature must exist” on our desktops.
The second bit he’s working on is making it so that when you click on the Trash Can it only opens one window (or focuses it if you have it open but lost it) instead of opening a bunch of trash cans.
The Big List
Here’s the list of bitesize bugs that can be snagged and fixed by anyone who wants to get involved.
- 675862 - Top panel isn’t multimonitor aware.
- 651398 - [dash] scrollbar’s clickable zone should extend to the right border of the dash border
- 687956 - should display the launcher tooltips after a delay
- 688816 - Don’t create windows over the launcher
- 688830 - Select quicklist items with just one right click
- 691776 - Fade effect when showing the menu bar
- 692444 - clicking trash multiple times opens multiple instances of it.
- 701569 - dash - search string not always taken into account
- 677594 - Workspace switcher useless with one workspace
- 686182 - Unity launchers run multiple copies of program if clicked multiple times before the program loads
- 689010 - wrong icon for “blank cd-r disc” in launcher
- 600875 - No documentation for using/configuring Unity
- 694924 - Window title could use a little fade
- 693792 - Launcher icon goes behind launcher if dialog pops up while dragging icon
- 715185 - Non-removable volume doesn’t show up in Unity dock after mount.
Want to tackle some of these? Instructions for getting started are available here.
For more information check out the wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Bitesize
If you have any questions feel free to pop by on #ayatana on Freenode.
Other Unity Tidbits
- Chris Coulson has landed the application menu work in Thunderbird!
- Mat Trudel is continuing his work on multimonitor support in Unity but is probably realizing that this wasn’t bitesize at all. Yum!
- Jason’s landed the Launcher API bits, which will allow applications to interact with the launcher better. Things like new mail indicators with a little number, download progress for clients, etc. (More to follow on this in the future)
- Mikkel’s been working on the Places API, so expect the wiki page to be updated this week. Once this lands we’ll finally be able to have people implementing some of the great ideas for Places we’ve been collecting. (I’ll have a seperate blogpost about this one later)